Sombra is an award-winning mezcal that is dedicated to sustainable and environmentally friendly production. Sombra Mezcal is made from 100% organic Espadin Agave. After growing up to 10 years, the hearts are harvested and roasted for 2 days over oak wood fires that heat cooking stones in a stone-lined pit. The roasted agaves are then crushed by a limestone tahona, fermented with only native yeast, and distilled in copper stills to create a refined, smooth and balanced Mezcal at the traditional strength of 90-proof.
Sombra owns and operates its own distillery; resulting in consistently delicious mezcal created using sustainabile production methods.
The Sombra Adobe Brick Project combines spent agave fibers and vinasa (liquid left over from the distillation) with earth and lime to make adobe bricks to build homes for those in need.
Sombra's sustainable initiatives:
• Organic Espadín Agaves, Not Conventional
• Certified Sustainable Wood, Not Deforestation
• Solar Powered Tahona, Not Animal Labor
• Native Yeast, Not Commercial
• Rainwater to Minimize Municipal Resources
• Clean-Burning Propane Gas-Fired Stills, Not Wood-Fired
• Mezcal By-Products upcycled to create Adobe Bricks for Local Housing, Not River Pollution
• Love for the Oaxacan Community Through After-School Children's Education
• Global Commitment by Donating to 1% for the Planet